A new AMD Radeon driver download has just been released, which promises to fix some of the high idle power draw issues with the latest AMD GPUs, such as the Radeon RX 7900 XT. In particular, it fixes the problem on multi-monitor setups when you’re using a mix of screens with high resolutions and high refresh rates.
However, AMD also promises that ‘further optimizations are being investigated to improve idle power on additional display configurations.’ Several other bug fixes have also been resolved in AMD Adrenalin Edition 23.8.1, including crashes in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart when ray tracing and dynamic resolution scaling are enabled.
In addition, the new AMD GPU driver adds support for first person magic shooter Immortals of Aveum. You can see if your PC can run this new game by checking if it meets the Immortals of Aveum system requirements.
AMD Radeon driver 23.8.1 fixed issues
- Improvements to high idle power when using select multi-display setups with mixed high-resolution and high refresh rate displays on Radeon RX 7000 series AMD RDNA 3 GPUs with variable refresh rate enabled. Further optimizations are being investigated to improve idle power on additional display configurations.
- Performance drop may be experienced for DirectX 11 games on AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT when AMD SmartAccess Memory is enabled.
- Application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart with ray tracing and dynamic resolution scaling enabled on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon RX 7900 XTX.
- Application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Starcraft II on Radeon RX 7000 series GPUs.
- Intermittent corruption may be observed playing Rocket League with Bloom set to Off on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon RX 6900 XT.
- Performance drop may be experienced for various games on AMD Ryzen processors with Radeon 700M series GPUs.
You can download AMD Radeon driver 23.8.1 for Windows 10 and 11 here.
AMD Radeon driver 23.8.1 known issues
- Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
- Audio may intermittently become out of sync with video when recording from AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition with AV1 codec.
- Display may not reach the correct brightness with certain games on some Samsung FreeSync Premium Pro displays and TVs when local dimming is enabled.
- Application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Baldur’s Gate 3 with DirectX 11 API set on certain systems with Radeon RX 7000-series GPUs.
If you’re looking to give your PC’s gaming performance a boost with a GPU upgrade, then make sure you check out our guide to the best graphics card. At the moment, Nvidia has the edge at the top end, with GPUs such as the GeForce RTX 4090 offering amazing ray tracing performance and DLSS 3 support, but we love the $259 Radeon RX 7600 at the affordable end of the scale.
Have you bought one of AMD’s new Radeon 7000-series GPUs? Let us know your thoughts on the Custom PC Facebook page, via Twitter, or join our Custom PC and Gaming Setup Facebook group and tap into the knowledge of our 400,000+ members.