Our sister site, The Loadout, is searching for a new editor who can manage and grow a leading console gaming brand. If you think you’re the right person for the job, read on for details on how you can apply.
This role offers the chance to work within a talented, driven, friendly, and inclusive network. You’ll have the opportunity to propel The Loadout to new heights through a growth-focused strategy in collaboration with your deputy and section editors while maintaining the quality, accuracy, and punctuality of your team’s output.
Please note that this role is only open to UK applicants, though we do offer the option to work fully remote or as a hybrid worker from our wonderful office in Bath. This role offers a salary of £42k and comes with a range of benefits including an extra day off for your birthday and Vitality private medical care.
This is the perfect opportunity to join one of the best console gaming brands out there, and as such we welcome applications from experienced editors or successful deputy editors wishing and ready to step up. Be sure to get your applications in soon, as we’ll be closing them on Tuesday, October 31.
For more information, you can check out the detailed breakdown of the role below. We wish you the very best of luck.
Editor – The Loadout
- Role: Editor, The Loadout
- Location: Fully remote (within UK only) or Hybrid
- Closing Date: October 31, 2023 (We reserve the right to close this advert early if a sufficient number of applications have been received)
- Type: Full-time, Permanent
- Salary: Circa £42k
We’re looking for an experienced editor and manager to spearhead The Loadout, an exciting Network N Media brand focused on console gaming. You’ll get to manage and develop our talented team of in-house writers; expand and manage our existing pool of freelance writers; ensure all published content is of the highest quality; develop and execute editorial strategies to grow the site; commission work using a freelance budget; and ensure that The Loadout is the preferred destination for console gaming fans.
You’ll coordinate your team across major releases and events, provide regular Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and content feedback, represent The Loadout at external events, plan and manage content pyramids, build and maintain key relationships with PRs, manufacturers, developers, and publishers, and experiment with new content strategies to drive authority of the site and tap into important audiences.
You’ll get to work for one of the fastest-growing media businesses in the UK and US, in the ever-evolving and exciting world of gaming, technology, and geek culture. We have huge ambitions for The Loadout, and we’re looking for someone who is keen to take ownership of the role and spearhead the brand’s growth in a fast-paced and competitive market.
This is the perfect role for either an experienced editor or a successful deputy editor to take the step up into a managerial role.
You will be responsible for:
- Planning and overseeing all published content, ensuring high-quality levels and adherence to brand values and guidelines
- Writing evergreen content, including buyers’ guides, and reviews
- Writing news to drive authority of the site and maximize Google News and Discover opportunities
- Developing, executing, and optimizing editorial strategies to grow the monthly users and pageviews of the website
- Working with the Group Editor and senior leadership team to create and implement strategies to improve the output and reach of published content
- Planning and managing content pyramids around key evergreen and e-commerce content, and working with the e-commerce team to achieve this
- Managing The Loadout staff writers, ensuring that they are performing their roles as best as possible and remain happy and motivated
- Ensuring team members are trained and kept up to date on SEO best practices and internal process changes
- Leading weekly 1:1s and team meetings
- Growing and managing a pool of trusted freelancers
- Commissioning work, managing a freelance budget, and ensuring invoices are submitted on time and according to company processes
- Improving the standing of The Loadout in the eyes of both its audience and the industry, through quality content, networking, and outreach
- Building and maintaining relationships with PRs, manufacturers, developers, and publishers
- Representing The Loadout and Network N Media at industry events
- Using the company’s workflow tools correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, etc.
- Other as requested by the Group Editor or senior leadership team
Person specification (skills, knowledge, and behaviors):
- Some experience in management positions, preferably at established online gaming or tech brands
- Ability to write quickly, accurately, and entertainingly to task, preferably with experience writing for a tech or gaming-focused publication
- Knowledge of the gaming industry and a passion for consoles and console gaming (especially PlayStation and Xbox titles)
- Ability to identify and capitalize on emerging trends
- Experience in optimizing content for discoverability best practices, across both organic search rankings and Google News
- A keen eye for detail and the ability to quickly check and audit best practices across all content
- Committed to following company processes, and using the company’s workflow tools and resources correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, LinkedIn Learning, etc
- A track record of having grown an online audience
- Previous experience managing a team or freelancers
- Inclusive leadership style
- Established contact book across the gaming industries
- A proactive work ethic, with a drive to succeed and hit shared targets
- Clear ambition and a desire to continually raise the bar
- Meets requirements of MGT 3 on our progression framework
Network N Media looks forward to hearing from you!